As a generous donor for Liberian Youth, we value your commitment to changing their lives for the better. That is why we will have your 2020 Giving Statement delivered to your email or mailbox on or before 1/31/2021. This gives you the opportunity to file your taxes early. Thank you for including Uniting Distant Stars in your charitable giving!
Thank you for being a guiding light during this most challenging year! You stepped up when we needed you to provide COVID-19 handwashing kits to Liberian Children and Youth. Again, you showed up to help 62 students receive their diplomas in August. Your continued commitment made all the difference with your students and graduates.
You generously raised $22,904 for Liberian Children and Youth during a challenging year. This includes the $3,857 from the year-end campaign from November to December. Here is the breakdown:
- 68% from businesses and individuals
- 27% from employer matches and contributions from United Way campaigns. Fortunately, two companies increased their matches from 1:1 to 2:1 due to COVID.
- 5% from in-kind donations.
Uniting Distant Stars allocated $19,642 to the following programs:
- Both vocational and academy students (410 total) received COVID handwashing kits in May. You raised $3,072 (16%) to cover the costs of powdered handsoap and bleach.
- 62 graduates received their diplomas on August 1 with your help of $1000 (5%).
- A graduate made about 500 masks to welcome students back from a $500 (3%) employer match donation.
- Three people sponsored 11 vocational training students with half or full scholarships for $960 (5%).
- Three sponsors supporting 14 academic students with full scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year at $3,905 (20%).
- Two classes (2019-20 and 2021-21) received learning materials to apply their skills in their respective courses at $6,115 (31%). Due to COVID, we suspended classes from March to September.
- One-year rent at $1,700 (9%) for our training center in Liberia. The five-year lease ended in May 2020.
- Staff development valued at $1,120 with in-kind service (6%).
- Adminstrative costs at $1,270 (7%).
Furthermore, current assets are $10,787.80 which 65% is allocated for 2020/2021 learning materials & supplies, 18% for next year’s rent and administrative needs, and 8% vocational student scholarship fund (one donor) for the 2021/2022 class. The remaining 9% is the reserve fund. If you like to compare with 2019, click on this link.
Our heartfelt gratitude for ensuring your students continue to receive the education they deserve!
Happy New Year! We hope you enjoyed your holidays and celebrated surviving a challenging year. What do you hope for in 2021 besides some sense of normalcy?
Our hope for 2021 is to transform more of our training departments into social businesses to provide additional revenue and create jobs for our graduates. As we continue to train and graduate students, more young people are led to our center to enroll. Thus the demand is high for vocational training because Liberian Youth sees it as the means for self-sufficiency.
In order to make this possible, we need to find interested partners and sponsors to help with the planning and raising the capital to buy the needed materials to make a viable business. If you know anyone interested in such a quest, please have them contact us at [email protected] We appreciate any leads!
We hope you are feeling fabulous today! The season of giving continues tomorrow with Giving Tuesday. Without a doubt, 2020 brought on new challenges for everyone. Yet, you continue to celebrate the successes of your August 1 graduates and welcomed your fourth cohort of students on September 22.
Through your generous support, young men and women show up to each class to practice their skills. Also, this real experience allows them to start earning income in a matter of weeks or months depending on the course. With you as their Classroom Hero, you guide them to the finish line, graduation.
For this reason, we hope you will join Uniting Distant Stars for Giving Tuesday. In continuation of the Give to the Max Day, we like to reach our goal of $5,000. Only $2,730 remains to reach it. Please donate at least $10 to help Liberian Youth learn valuable trade skills. Thank you for including Uniting Distant Stars in your charitable giving!
We hope you are well! Happy Thanksgiving to all our U.S. supporters!
As we coming together from different parts of the world, we wanted to extend our Heartfelt Thanks for your generous support! There are never enough words to express our gratitude for all that you do. Your dedication towards Liberian Youth in learning valuable trade skills is so worthy of praise. Your commitment to see young men and women through graduation gives them the hope to succeed.
Without a doubt, you are their Classroom Hero and you make their one-year journey possible because you believe in their abilities. Thank you for including Uniting Distant Stars in your charitable giving!