UDS sees educating children and youth as an investment for the future. We started our work with academic scholarships and school supply drives in 2011. We later added a library and provided after-school study programs. So, starting a primary school serving 350 children in September 2018 fit into our programming.
The UDS Academy is not like other schools in the area because it was a community effort. Our team worked around the clock with the parents in preparing and implementing the plan. What sets this school apart from others?
- It is a tuition-free school for pre-K to 6th-grade students.
- The parents buy the uniforms directly from UDS (made by our staff and students) and the funds cover the operations costs and teachers pay.
- The UDS library contains all the materials that meet the nation’s curriculum.
- The teachers are selected for their passion to impart knowledge in students and trained to adhere to our high-level learning standards.
- The students are evaluated to determine if they could meet the grade level requirements and some are moved back a grade to ensure their success.
Since most of the vocational training courses either have their own learning labs or meet in the afternoons or evenings, our center easily accommodates the academy. Plus, some of our vocational training students benefited from our academy because they could enroll their children.
Furthermore, the parents showed their gratitude by donating three bundles of zinc roofing to help with our building extension and some offered their skills like carpentry to complete the work.
Now as we move forward to June 29, the UDS Academy held their closing ceremony for the academic year. Also, students graduated from Kindergarten and 6th grades. Again, the parents were involved in the closing program and asked if the graduates could receive culture clothes made from a lappa (i.e. fabric) instead of a rented cap and gown. This made perfect sense because they paid a $20 graduation fee and a new outfit for their child is priceless.
Your continued support empowered our Liberian Team and the community we serve a program for over 300 young children. Thank you for helping them make this happen!